Torqeedo provides state-of-the-art batteries for electric boat drives. The latest release raises the bar to new levels of safety and charge/discharge management. For boat drives, the Torqeedo Power batteries represent an enormous increase in performance compared to conventional battery systems. Here are six important features of Torqeedo Power:
1) Increased energy density over lead batteries: the high-power batteries of the Torqeedo Power range are lithium based and, hence, have an enormous energy density. This is a decisive advantage when you consider the limited volume and weight in the boat. There are also significant advantages over heavy lead batteries when it comes to handling. They are also higher energy density than other lithium battery types such as Lithium Iron Phosphate—see story about Solar boat project for comparison.
2) Improved tolerance to high current: conventional batteries can only provide a fraction of their nominal capacity in the case of load in the typical power range of larger electric motors. Torqeedo Power batteries, on the other hand, can deliver their rated capacity, or close to it, even at high discharge rates.
3) Higher charge stability: Torqeedo Power batteries remain charged for several months even when they are stored. This is particularly important for the use of the electric drive as an auxiliary motor. In this respect too, they are way superior to conventional batteries.
4) Improved performance in the cold: lead batteries perform poorly at cold external temperatures. The Torqeedo Power, on the other hand, releases cloase to its full power even at cold outside temperatures. This is a tremendous advantage should an electric motor be required for winter use.
5) Improved built-in protection: lead batteries are really dumb batteries—they require external management systems to perform their best and protect from inadvertent mishandling and. The Torqeedo Power, on the other hand, has a string of built safety and protection features. There is an auto cutoff in the case of full immersion, as well as built-in protection against overcharging and over discharging.
6) Higher safety standards than all other lithium-based battery systems: the LIMA lithium-manganese cells used by Torqeedo are currently the only lithium batteries which also withstand all safety standards when the safety electronics are switched off. Nevertheless, each and every cell of the Torqeedo Power battery has its own safety mechanism. Torqeedo is the first provider to make the LIMA cells available for boat drives.
Torqeedo Power 26-104 can be charged in eight hours using the standard Torqeedo charger (available separately) through the charge channel. They can can also be charged at a high rate through the discharge channel. If you have a need for high charge rates up to 100 amps, please call or write for details of how to go about this.